Think about the thoughts you have before you fall asleep — especially when you need to fall asleep very quickly. At moments like these, your brain starts wondering about different things that you never think about on a regular day like, how much does a cloud weigh? Can a person sense smells while they sleep? How much energy does a human body produce? Luckily for you, we found the answers to all of these questions!
- You can know the degrees of an angle using just your hand. Spread your fingers as much as possible, and put your palm on a surface of the angle of which you want to measure. The little finger should lie on the bottom side and represents 0°. The angle between the thumb and the little finger will be 90°, the angles between the little finger and the other fingers are 30°, 45°, and 60°, respectively.
- In your lifetime, you meet around 16 murderers and don’t even know it.
- Every time you shuffle a deck of cards, you are the first person in history to have the cards in this specific order.
- You can find out the number of days in each month using your knuckles. Make a fist and start counting the months by knuckles. Each knuckle bump and gap is a separate month. Start to count on one hand, then, after reaching the end, start again with the knuckles of the index finger. If the month is on the knuckle bump, there are 31 days, if it’s on the gap, the month contains 30 days or less.
- One 43 cm pizza is bigger than two 30 cm pizzas.
- Human saliva contains a natural painkiller called opiorphin which is six times more effective than morphine. Additionally, opiorphin can have both an anti-panic and an anti-depressive effect.
- There are “prohibited” colors that our brain can’t imagine. They consist of shades which compensate for each other in human eyes, for example, red-green or yellow-blue. If someone asks you to imagine the yellow-blue color, you will think about green while in fact, there is a color that exists of both yellow and blue at the same time but we can’t imagine it.
li>The oxygen atoms that are now in our lungs, the carbon in our muscles, the calcium in our bones, and the iron in our blood were born inside stars and scattered around the universe when they exploded. This means that all of us are part alien and made of stardust.
- By the time you are 60, you will lose half of your taste buds and the ability to tell the difference between sweet, salty, sour, and bitter products.
- You can’t sense any smells when you are asleep.
- During pregnancy, if a woman damages her internal organs, the baby sends its stem cells to the damaged spot to speed up the healing process.
- Every day, our heart produces enough energy for a 19-mile truck trip, and the brain produces enough energy to light a 10-watt bulb.
- Most people have no idea that street lights are actually much bigger than they seem and the lines on the road are much thicker than they seem. There is an explanation for this phenomena called size perception.
- Every year, 98% of you becomes a new person. This is how many new atoms you get in a year.
- Oxygen is necessary for people to live, but it also oxidizes out cells which is what leads to aging.
- The person sitting the closest to you on the left is the furthest from you on the right.
- Your age is just the number of circles you’ve made around the sun.
- An average cloud weighs around 500 tons (100 elephants) and a storm cloud weighs the same as 200,000 elephants. Scientists were able to “weigh” a cloud by knowing its size and the approximate amount of water in it.
- In 1991, Sociologist Scott Feld counted the average number of friends that one person has and compared it to the number of friends of the friends of that person. The second number was always bigger than the first one, which means that your friends always have more friends than you do. This is where the friendship paradox comes from.
- The people who were born in the 1990s lived in two millenniums, two centuries and three decades — and they’re not even 30 years old yet.
Do you know any interesting facts like these? Share them in the comment section below!